6 Renovation Tips Expert Home Remodelers Swear By
Renovations can achieve three things: enhance your home’s curb appeal, make it more sellable, and boost its market value. An appealing exterior can help attract buyers and increase your chances of selling your house should you decide to take the leap. However, that doesn’t mean that renovations should happen only when a real estate sale is being considered.
The truth is, the renovations you make to your house today can benefit you in the future. Just think of it as a major investment that you or your children can reap when the need arises.
For this very reason, expert home remodelers strongly recommend starting with the exterior of the house before moving onto an interior makeover. To determine the best home improvement projects that increase home value, make sure that you focus your resources by following these expert tips.
6 Tips from Expert Home Remodelers for Your Home’s Exterior
Your home’s front entry serves as the focal point of the house’s aesthetic. That said, remodeling contractors strongly recommend sprucing up the driveway, doors, and the windows to help improve the property’s curb appeal.
Change the Front Door
Doors are often overlooked by homeowners but never by home buyers. It is the first thing they notice, so make sure that you make these key changes to your front door if you’re looking to sell your home:
- One thing you can do is change the entire door with one that has glass parts in it, which will offer added lighting to the interior and a new sense of elegance to the house.
- Choose a high-quality door with intricate details to delight potential home buyers.
- Opt for a light-hued door that lends a certain shine to the edifice.
- Custom-made wood doors are also great, especially if they reflect how the interior of the house looks.
If you aren’t planning to change the entire door, you can simply have the knob and other metal parts of the door polished. This will remove any impression that the house is old and neglected.
Add Exterior Accent Lighting
Accent lighting is often used inside the house to improve the ambiance. However, low-voltage lights can also amp up a property’s curb appeal and boost your home’s security when used the right way.
One good tip is to direct landscape light fixtures at trees or the pathway. Aside from allowing onlookers to see the property in a new light, it also provides added security to your home by discouraging any unlawful act from occurring within the premises.
Reimagine Your Windows
When choosing new windows for your home, you should also upgrade your window casings. You have several options for your window upgrades, including:
- Double-hung windows – These windows are quite popular because of their tilt-in feature that makes them easy to clean. They also have sashes operating both ways (up and down) and have an expansive height, which is why they are best used for more horizontally-inclined walls.
- Sliding windows – These are best used for areas with a greater width than height. As the name implies, these windows slide from side-to-side.
- Awning and casement windows – Like sliding windows, this type of window is best for spaces with widths greater than heights. They allow easy opening and have a fold-down handle and unique design.
- Bow and bay windows – This type of window offers a new focal point for the house’s curb appeal because of its unusual three-dimensional shape. It is typically characterized by frame or casing with 10- to 15-degree angles.
- Custom shape windows – This type of window can be used to maximize natural light and add aesthetic to the house, both inside and out. They come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes and are often used in hard-to-reach parts of the house.
Redo Your Exterior Paint
After some time, exterior paint fades which may lead to your house looking a lot less appealing compared to when it was built. Redoing the exterior paint can work wonders for your home’s aesthetic, especially if you select an entirely new color.
If you already have a stucco or brick exterior, painting certain parts of the house can also improve its appearance. You can also make it more eye-catching by having a professional incorporate an unusual painting technique like smearing or whitewashing to transform your house’s overall appearance.
Modernize Your Home with New Sidings
Sidings can cover the entire exterior of the house or serve as an accent to boost its appeal. Modern sidings can also offer better energy-efficiency to any edifice.
If you have no idea what you want your sidings to look like, you can try exploring inexpensive and retrofitting vinyl, classic and customizable wood, unique and sturdy stucco, or tough brick, all options that require minimal maintenance and boast unparalleled durability.
Update Your Hardware
Exterior hardware encompasses the door lockset, the mailbox, the house number, and even overhead lighting on the entryway. If you’re looking to enhance your home’s appeal and value, you can try changing these elements to match your new doors and windows while reflecting the interior design of your home.
Ready to Renovate?
Building contractors have one important job: to transform a house into a valuable home you can be proud of. Taking this credo to heart, expert home remodelers can provide you with helpful tips and ideas on how you can boost your property’s appeal. This will benefit not only potential real estate buyers but you and the younger generations of your family as well.
Bill Fannin started Post & Beam 27 years ago as a small construction company and, in 2004, decided to specialize in design/build. Since then, he has grown the company into a very reputable Design/Build Firm. You can find Bill in the office helping with estimates, consulting clients, and even on the job helping the carpenters. Bill is a Certified Graduate Remodeler and Certified Green Professional.